Experienced. Aggressive. Effective.

How To Modify A Divorce Agreement In Arkansas

The changing needs and conditions of families mean that modifications of child support, child custody and alimony are often necessary. Fortunately, the law in the state of Arkansas allows for these types of modifications under many circumstances. In order to modify an existing agreement, it is important to consult with an experienced lawyer who can advise you on your rights and options.

At Robertson, Oswalt, Nony & Associates, our attorneys help Arkansas parents with matters of modifying child support, child custody and alimony. Our team of knowledgeable and skilled attorneys can guide you through the modification process to make sure things go smoothly and that your interests — and the interests of your children — are protected.

Can I Modify My Divorce Decree?

In order to establish a right to modification of a court order or court-approved divorce agreement, it will first be necessary to show that the change is both substantial and material. In other words, the difference between the present arrangement and that proposed should be big enough to satisfy legal standards and justify the time and expense involved in seeking the modification.

Additionally, the changed circumstances following your divorce should bear directly upon the situation at issue — a loss of a job might justify a downward adjustment of child support obligations, and a change in working hours might support modification of a visitation schedule, but a child’s new problems with allergies and asthma shouldn’t require an adjustment to child support if current health insurance coverage will take care of the additional expenses.

It is important to remember that you need to get a motion for a modification filed as soon as possible with the court. If a change in circumstances happens, and there is a delay in bringing a motion to the court, the modification may no longer be possible.

Contact Our Dedicated Divorce Modification Attorneys

Contact Robertson, Oswalt, Nony & Associates, by calling 501-588-4451 or 866-311-3815 to schedule an initial consultation about your options. You may also send us a confidential email.

Dedicated to providing cost-effective legal representation, we accept Visa and Mastercard. Payment plans are also available. From our office in Little Rock, we help clients with divorce modification issues throughout Arkansas.