Call today for a consultation 501-588-4451

Robertson, Oswalt, Nony & AssociatesCall today for a consultation

Robertson, Oswalt, Nony

Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.


Making a


Difference In Your Life

Paying child support while unemployed

On Behalf of | Nov 18, 2019 | Firm News

After getting a divorce, many Arkansas parents might have to pay child support. Sometimes, though, a parent may lose his or her job. In this situation, people may wonder how they will pay child support. 

When a parent becomes unemployed, he or she may decide to stop making child support payments. FindLaw says there may be severe repercussions for doing this. When this parent does find a job, a court might garnish his or her wages to make up for these skipped payments. Parents might also lose their driver’s license, and a court may sometimes take personal property. If a parent has an occupational license, a court might also suspend this license. 

Some people may wonder what options they have if they cannot stop making these payments. According to Very Well Family, some parents may want to request a child support modification. In this situation, people usually notify the court about the job loss so the court can determine a payment that is more manageable. It is typically a good idea to ask for a modification as soon as people lose their job so they do not have to worry about missing a payment. 

Sometimes parents may be able to get unemployment benefits. In this situation, people generally have to tell the unemployment office that they owe child support. Most of the time, these payments get deducted from the unemployment benefits. While parents are unemployed, it is a good idea to work with the court. People should typically demonstrate that they are actively seeking employment and notify the court as soon as they have a new job. 


Here when you need help. Call 501-588-4451 to set up your consultation

Hear From Our Clients

“Our attorney showed an immense amount of care while working quickly, efficiently, and effectively… We are back on track in our lives because of you.”