Call today for a consultation 501-588-4451

Robertson, Oswalt, Nony & AssociatesCall today for a consultation

Robertson, Oswalt, Nony

Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.


Making a


Difference In Your Life

What are my rights as the noncustodial parent?

On Behalf of | Oct 17, 2019 | Family Law

When you and your child’s other parent are no longer together, you will have to go through the court in Arkansas to set up parenting time for each of you. This will also establish custody and determine the rights each of you has in regards to the children. If the court decides you are the noncustodial parent, meaning the children do not live with you, you still maintain some rights.

The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration explains that you maintain responsibilities to take care of your children, which means you will pay child support. You also must pay attention to any court notices. You do have a right to determine paternity, if needed, but if you fail to attend court hearings, the court can rule you are the father.

You have the right to understand all legal documents in your case before you sign them, and you should make sure you understand them. Undoing a court ruling is difficult and expensive. You do have the right to represent yourself, but once you hire an attorney, the child support office will only discuss your case with your attorney.

You do have the right to visitation with your children according to the court’s ruling. The other parent cannot withhold your vitiation privileges for not paying child support. This is a direct violation of a court order, and you have the right to go before the court about the matter.

You may also have your child support modified when you have a change in circumstances or at regular intervals, if needed. This information is for education and is not legal advice.


Here when you need help. Call 501-588-4451 to set up your consultation

Hear From Our Clients

“Our attorney showed an immense amount of care while working quickly, efficiently, and effectively… We are back on track in our lives because of you.”