If you are like thousands of Little Rock residents, you are working with the aftermath of a bankruptcy. Going through bankruptcy can be a difficult process, but it is also important to look toward the future and have a plan for managing your finances in the aftermath. Depending on the kind of bankruptcy that you are filing, a bankruptcy may stay on your credit report for up to 10 years. According to Credit.com, while your credit will likely be a bit lower than you would prefer with the bankruptcy on your record, there are many things you can do to start building your credit right away. 

One of the first things you may want to consider is getting another credit card. While this may seem counterintuitive, getting a credit card and using it responsibly can help improve your credit score. If you are recovering from a bankruptcy, it is likely that you will need to get a secured credit card. A secured credit card is different from an unsecured one in that you will need to put down a deposit as security. This, in turn, is the credit limit of the card. So, for example, if you put down a $500 deposit on a secured credit card, the max limit of that credit card is $500. The goal is to use this credit card sparingly and pay it off consistently. In turn, the credit card will make reports to the Credit Agencies and responsible use of a secured credit card will improve your credit score. 

Another thing to keep on top of his regularly checking your credit with the three major agencies. You will want to ensure that all of the information on there is current and correct. If something is incorrect, it is possible to contact the credit agency and request a correction.